[opensuse-factory] The KDE way for openSUSE 11.1
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:55:07 +0200
Hi,

as discussed in a former project meeting we should discuss how we handle KDE
in openSUSE 11.1. To avoid any misunderstanding we will offer on the DVD still
KDE and Gnome. It just the question which or how many KDE's ;-)

The proposal of the internal team (beineri, michl, cthiel, aj, klaas, mlasars,
zonker) is trying to make KDE 4.1 as good as possible and maintain our
reputation to offer the best integrated KDE. Top 3 reasons for that:
- KDE 4.1 is ready for prime time
- clear decision and move to the future
- limited ressources

KDE 4.1 is released and - no doubt - much better than 4.0. But there are still
discussions that KDE 4.1 lacks some capabilities KDE 3.5.x had. If you have
any issue with KDE 4.1 on openSUSE please report a bug to drive attention on
it and patches are also welcome ;-)

What can/should we do?
a) Delivery of KDE 4.1 on media as our default KDE desktop, add some 3.5.x
applications where necessary, older KDE through online repos
Pros:
- clear position and direction to the future
- KDE 4.1 ready for the mayority of users
- focus of efforts to KDE 4.1
Cons:
- some users will lack certain features or habits

b) We may add again both KDEs to the DVD
Pros: we offer choice and may make everybody happy
Cons:
- space limitations on DVD may prevent this option
- maintenance and integration of 2 KDE desktops needed which the internal KDE
team hardly can accomplish
- we're backing a desktop which anyway won't receive much attention from
upstream anymore
- confusion - which KDE should I choose

Please bring up your opinion so that we're doing the right thing for openSUSE
11.1

Best
Michael Löffler, Product Management
Email: michl@xxxxxxx