Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:59:07 -0800
Silviu,

On Monday 30 October 2006 07:41, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
> The periodic ext3 fs checks at boot are driving me nuts. I know they
> can be disabled.

What is the check period? How is it measured? In reboot cycles? Calender
time elapsed since previous check? Some combination of these? Something
else?

> Couldn't they be performed at shutdown instead of boot?
>
> Whenever someone starts the computer it means 100% they need it right
> then.
>
> Having ext3 perform fs checking on a 300 GB full drive is nothing
> that any user will tolerate easily.
>
> OTOH whenever someone shuts down the computer, there's a 95% chance
> that it doesn't need it right then anymore (it's not a reboot).

The problem I see with that is that when a system starts up, it's in as
stable and pristine a state as it will ever be. On the other hand, when
shutting down, it's distinctly more likely that there will be something
amiss, even in the kernel, and a file system check in such a state
could do more harm than good.

Randall Schulz