Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks
  • From: Rasmus Plewe <rplewe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:53:33 +0100
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:41:29PM +0200, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
> The periodic ext3 fs checks at boot are driving me nuts. I know they can be
> disabled.
>
> Couldn't they be performed at shutdown instead of boot?
[...]
> These would be the steps, from boot:
>
> 0. boot
> 1. is fs dirty? then fsck and prompt user how to fix errors
[...]
> This way, the user would never have to wait at boot, and the
> filesystem would still be checked periodically.

No.

> What do you think?

I would prefer the following:
If a fsck at boot time occurs
- kill the splash screen (usually the computer boots in 3 minutes, now
it's still unchanged after 10 minutes. Something must be broken.
Poweroff/on. Does still not boot. Damn Linux, doesn't work. Changing
OS because Linux doesn't work for me).
- present an option "you can interrupt the current fsck by pressing
ESC. This means the fsck is repeated upon next boot."
- As user, I know what will happen next time I boot and prepare for it.

If you trust hardware and file systems, you might want to present an
easy option to the user to disable those checks alltogether. I wouldn't
recommend that.

Rasmus