[opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks
  • From: Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu_marin-caea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:41:29 +0200
The periodic ext3 fs checks at boot are driving me nuts. I know they can be
disabled.

Couldn't they be performed at shutdown instead of boot?

Whenever someone starts the computer it means 100% they need it right then.

Having ext3 perform fs checking on a 300 GB full drive is nothing that any
user will tolerate easily.

OTOH whenever someone shuts down the computer, there's a 95% chance that it
doesn't need it right then anymore (it's not a reboot).

However, there is a small problem with my suggestion. There is a chance that
the fs check at shutdown finds an error that needs user intervention. In
that case I think there must be a way to mark the volume dirty and go forward
with the shutdown. Then at boot do again a fs check and let the user decide.

These would be the steps, from boot:

0. boot
1. is fs dirty? then fsck and prompt user how to fix errors
2. run OS
3. at shutdown: should the fs be checked (verify mount count or period) if yes
then fsck with "automatic fix" option. Did the fsck find errors that cannot
be fixed automatically? If yes mark fs dirty. Shutdown.

This way, the user would never have to wait at boot, and the filesystem would
still be checked periodically.

What do you think?