Re: [opensuse-factory] Online update issue
  • From: Andras Mantia <amantia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:51:06 +0300
On Thursday 18 May 2006 20:35, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:31:55PM +0300, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 May 2006 20:31, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > > Also, if you now install a package it will check if there is a
> > > security update and retrieve and install the fixed package
> > > instead.
> >
> > I was too quick as I have a 3rd question as well: does it retrieve
> > the full package from the update mirror or it installs the package
> > from the medium and gets the update?
>
> It will fetch the full update.

Ok, so I'm only partly happy with it. It's great, because users get the
new version automatically. It's not so great that it generates too much
traffic and might be too slow. What if you are online using GPRS or
something like that where you pay for the amount transferred to read
your mails, but want to install meantime something that has an
update.... I think it's better to ask the user if he wants the updated
version right now or not. And of course reducing the amount needed to
be transferred is always good (for the user and for the servers as
well). Something to consider for 10.2. Should I enter an enhancement
request?

Sincerely I don't like that much the heavy depending on an internet
connection (like most Debian derivate distros are). SUSE was great in
this regard as you could have a lot of software on a DVD or CDs and
work fine without constant net connection, and would be nice to keep
this advantage. ;-)

Andras