  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 10:00:09 -0600
On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 16:41 +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 08.01.2013 15:53, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 01/08/2013 08:08 AM, Henne Vogelsang wrote:

before we, in the promo team, can get anything done we need a theme and
motto for the conference. It's the starting point for everything: Logo,
website, posters etc.

The motto should reflect what we emphasize at oSC13 and the theme should
reflect how oSC13 will feel. To explain what I mean look at the last
couple of events we held:
<snip>

My personal suggestion would be:

Motto: Power to the Geeko.

I like it, "Power to the Geeko"

A variant of "Power to the People" [1].
Emphasize the empowerment that you so easily get in openSUSE.
Theme: Politics, Greek Democracy, Greece

I'd rather stay away from politics or terms that imply politics, how about

Ok

Summer Fun, Beach, Freedom, Greece

as theme?

That collides with the summit which also will happen again this year as
far as I can see. That's why I would stay away from summer and beach. I
also think it's not a very good fit for the the motto...

What do you guys think about the port, dock workers, unions etc?

Henne Vogelsang
http://www.opensuse.org

The mottoes and themes of the past have generally been meant to support
an overarching goal of the Project as a whole. RWX because we needed
our community to get to work. Engage Invigorate etc. beause we needed
the U.S. community to step up and get more involved in the Project. And
so on...

And the retro look and feel of oSC11 also contributed to the overall
perception we portray about openSUSE, a community that is run by the
community itself and that openSUSE is what we make of it. It, by far,
exceeded any other event we've had for the "Have a lot of fun!" motto
that is integral to openSUSE.

So, now we have oSC13 in a new location, much further away than previous
oSC's. Resources and the availability will be different. At the same
time, we're in a jumpstart year. The message and theme has to resonate
more widely than just around the walls of the conference itself. It is
a new travel destination and time of year, which greatly impacts the
question of "will they come?" And I hope they do.

The theme and motto needs to be made much louder and reverberate more
globally for the oSC to achieve its goals.

Bryen