Re: [opensuse-conference] travel sponsorship
Am Sonntag 10 Juli 2011, 04:09:39 schrieb Izabel Valverde:

Please all, review the attached announcement. The exact process I don't
have clear yet. Should we set up a mail address and let people send
requests there? Or could indico help with this?

If we can easily set indico for it would be great otherwise we could
make a "osc_sponsorship_committee@xxxxxxxxxxxx" or something like
this. By email its not so easy to analyse but after have all
applications we can decide by irc the "5" together.
Indico could, but I think it makes more sense to do that on the list for
two reasons:
1. if the fields are in Indico, people might click "I need support" by
default. If they have to compose an email, its still a low barrier but
not sooo "oh, why shouldn't I try..."
2. Asking for sponsoring requires quite some data and people start to
line up alternatives etc etc. In Indico that would require a comparable
large amount of space and wouldn't be as flexible as mail.

So I recommend (closed) mailinglist.

regards,

Klaas

openSUSE announces travel sponsorship options

While the openSUSE Conference team is <a
href="http://news.opensuse.org/2011/06/08/opensuse-conference-looking-fo
r-sponsors/">still looking for sponsors</a>, we have enough initial
commitments to start the travel sponsorship process. So if you want to
come to the openSUSE conference but can't afford the travel costs
because you're a student or live far away, read on!

<h2>Time to start registering!</h2>
The openSUSE conference is the place to be for anyone involved with,
working on or taking advantage of openSUSE technology. Which includes
the Open Build Service, the openSUSE distribution, it's deriviates and
projects like Tumbleweed and Factory, openFate, Hermes and Connect,
Zypper, libYUI, YaST and much more.

Yes, it is a wide gamut of topics. Packaging and distribution tools are
the common thread but we also have friends from upstream projects like
KDE, the kernel, Samba, LibreOffice and many other projects there. And
of course many developers from other linux distributions with whom we
collaborate on technologies like packaging (OBS), package installation
(appstream) and low-level tools like systemd.

So if you are looking for a fun event where you can meet your fellows,
become even more part of the Free Software community, learn about what
is going on and help shape openSUSE and Free Software in general - be
there!

<h2>Travel sponsorship</h2>
The <a
href="http://news.opensuse.org/2011/05/16/opensuse-conference-2011-to-be
-creative-and-open/">openSUSE conference "RWXł" takes place in Nuremberg,
Germany</a>. That's quite easy to reach from Europe but it happens that
the world is slightly bigger than that. We have openSUSE contributors
living in India, Taiwan, the US, Brazil, Australia and many other
countries around the globe.

The conference team has been looking for a
href="http://news.opensuse.org/2011/06/08/opensuse-conference-looking-fo
r-sponsors/">sponsors</a> to aid in the travel costs and set up a team to
look at incoming requests. We would obviously love to support everyone
with their travel and hotel costs, but funds are limited. So this team
will decide priorities.

<h2>So who will be supported?</h2>
If you're a speaker for the openSUSE conference and can't afford the
travel yourself chances are quite good we'll support you. Our google
summer of code students are also high on our list, as are contributors
who have to travel far and students who wouldn't be able to afford
coming otherwise. However, depending on funds and contributions, we will
try to accomodate as many people as possible.

So, no matter what your situation is, if you are interested in the
openSUSE conference but you can't afford it yourself, apply for support!

<h2>how</h2>
To apply for support, you need to make an estimation of your travel
costs. Search for a cheap airfare or train trip, look at the hotel
options and make a guestimation of the total costs you'll make. Then
figure out what you can afford and send the info to the conference team
(see below).

Ask what the conference will make for them... Just costs is hard to
decide. Ask how support the free software environment, if had a chance
to be in an openSUSE meeting/conference/people before, ...

As a rule, we reimburse 80% of travel and if really needed, 80% of hotel
as well. However we can make exceptions when it's really needed and pay
up to 100%, or for example 50% if that would suffice.

Personally I wouldn't mention about how much % we'll reimburse. We can
ask for the travel estimation costs separately and then we can decide
like 50% of flight tickets and 100% for hotel... or even better to say
"we will sponsor until US$1000,00". GUADEC worked that way before... I
did the same 6 years for Fórum GNOME in Brazil!
Also say how the reimburse will be make... e.g. just by bank transfer
and 20 days after the conference. This is a really important.

you can <a
href="http://conference.opensuse.org/indico//conferenceDisplay.py?confId
=2">register on the website</a>. Until August 1st you can send in such
requests for travel support via xxxxx.

August 1st I think it's a little bit late cause after we will need at
least 3 days to decide, send the answer and then the sponsored/or not
will reserve the flight and hotel. Might be more expensive with just a
month to plan.

I would open few days for applications like after decided between
indico or email open in July 15th and close July 25th. The month
didn't change so the prices are better.

My 0.02 cents

Izabel