Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE 11.4 ... do not disable repos on EOL?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 11:15:10 +0200
Am Montag, 27. August 2012, 09:26:45 schrieb Archie Cobbs:
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Wolfgang Rosenauer
<wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 27.08.2012 12:26, schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
It depends on what the Evergreen team wants. Independently of what
SUSE, the company, wants, if the "openSUSE Project" wants to have a
support period of X years it's OK with me. But the current situation
looks more like this extended support period is just something the
"Evergreen team" wants, not the "openSUSE project" as a whole (am I
wrong here?)

I do not know. How do you know what the project wants?

Agreed. We had a long discussion [1] about this last time (where I got
beat down) when 11.3 got nuked.

Suffice to say, my vote is YES - keep the repos.

Please see my other mail speaking about our storage problems on our server
and mirrors. Also the complains about low scheduling and build speed.

Removing repositories of projects where the maintainers did not change
their repos from openSUSE to DISCONTINUED:openSUSE is right now the only
way to get rid of stuff where maintainers do not re-acct or vanished.

However, I have an idea how to solve this in a different way in future:

* Implement a "remove repository from project" request type.

* Add an option to auto-accept after X time, if the request got not declined.
(Such a request can only be created when the submitter has write access in
target,
but the admin has always ;)

=> That means we would not need to move the projects around anymore, so nothing
breaks during that. Also more people get trained in re-acting on requests to
them.

What do you think about that approach?

Given this, asking the packagers outside of the Evergreen project to
do the extra work to support 11.4 is IMHO not fair.

I understood this is mainly for not moving the official distribution
11.4 repos to another name and invalidate all projects immediately
stacking on it.
Apart from that it's the choice of every packager if he wants to keep
compatibility with 11.4 or not in his packages.

Agreed. I don't think there is any implicit requirement here that all forward
progress must include indefinite maintenance of 11.4 builds. Nobody is being
demanded to do any extra work.

But our infrastructure has extra work.

-Archie

[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2012-01/msg00165.html