Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE 11.4 ... do not disable repos on EOL?
On 27 August 2012 10:23, Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Given the large amounts of negative feedback we get when we disable
the build repositories of just EOLed openSUSE distributions ...
and as 11.4 is targeted to be a Evergreen target again...

How about NOT removing the openSUSE 11.4 repositories this time?

We could still remove the openSUSE 11.4 repos below home:* but
perhaps not for the rest of the namespace.

It depends on what the Evergreen team wants. Independently of what
SUSE, the company, wants, if the "openSUSE Project" wants to have a
support period of X years it's OK with me. But the current situation
looks more like this extended support period is just something the
"Evergreen team" wants, not the "openSUSE project" as a whole (am I
wrong here?)
Given this, asking the packagers outside of the Evergreen project to
do the extra work to support 11.4 is IMHO not fair.

So if the Evergreen team is happy with the projects having 11.4 in a
"best effort" basis (so with half the packages failing because the use
a macro that is just eye candy, but not supported in 11.4) then sure,
just keep the 11.4 repository there.
But if the Evergreen team wants packages that keep building, IMHO they
should do the work. They should patch its RPM (rpmbuild) package to
support the latest spec files. And for that to work, what it should be
done is redirect the openSUSE:11.4 project to openSUSE:Evergreen:11.4.