Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS, far more work then on Launchpad for Ubuntu
On Friday 27 May 2011 10:09:24 peer wrote:
On 05/26/2011 03:09 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Thursday, 26. May 2011, 13:59:42 schrieb peer:
On 05/26/2011 01:35 PM, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Thursday, 26. May 2011, 12:45:45 schrieb peer:
On 05/26/2011 12:36 PM, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
On Thursday 26 May 2011 12:25:23 peer wrote:
On 05/26/2011 11:18 AM, Claudio Freire wrote:
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Adrian Schröter<adrian@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Since these are anyway a moving target, what about if you
Debian/Ubuntu builder people found a project, let's say
Debian:Support where you maintain such packages and build for all
(needed) Debian and Ubuntu distros.

So you can have a common pool for such packages and you do not
rely on me personally.

I would create such a project and hand over to you, if let's say
at least three persons are willing to work on that.

does this sound like a plan ?

Yep, that sounds perfect

Sounds like a unpractical and cumbersome solution to me. Maybe I am
missing something, but why not enable 'universe' (as an option) as
default?

Just as Adrian said, currently we're not allowed to host _all_
content that is in Ubuntu's universe/multiverse repositories, mainly
due to license and patent issues. That's essentially the same reason
why we're not hosting rpmfusion for Fedora.

Until the OBS is hostet in a country where this doesn't matter we're
bound to german law.

I understand that multiverse is a problem. But why universe, that is
all free software.

The last time I checked it contained definitive some packages part of
our black list (containg ffmpeg inside of the application and so on).

Could you be more precise here? Which packages are you talking about?

No, it takes time to review these packages and fidn out these details.
And I just don't have the time.

ALso, it was a moving target. I will not import such a repo binary
wise, because I would need permanently updating it.

Such repo's gets updates automatically right?

No. We offer a service for reproducable builds. permanent updating ground
packages would conflict with that.

Also our goal is not provide pure-ubuntu pakcagers a better base for
pure-ubuntu. Our goal is to build communities around certain packages so
that we join forces for all distributions.

If you like OBS and want pure-ubuntu with universe, please install your
own OBS instance. It is free software.

Big bummer...

Well, as Texas said, there might be ways around that. Like developing a way
for OBS to be able to pull in packages from an external repo. But that simply
needs someone to write that functionality. And we'd need to figure out what to
do with the bandwith costs, as they'd be HUGE...

So, I'm sure Adrian would love for OBS to be everyting to everyone but we
simply have to limit our scope to reality. Even a code $DEITY like him can't
bend steel with his bare hands. Well, OK, he probably can, but even that is
not enough sometimes ;-)

~P