Re: [opensuse-boosters] FOSDEM 2010
  • From: Petr Uzel <petr.uzel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:34:16 +0100
On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 02:04:41PM +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Brothers,

the FOSDEM Team wants to try something new (i like that!) for the
upcoming instance. Let me just quote the relevant parts of the
announcement mail from Pascal:

[...]

So far only very little discussion has happened around this topic.
Mostly people expressed that they liked or disliked it. Which is not
really the point i think. Its the FOSDEM's team event. They do all the
hard work and should be the driving force behind how it's organized. If
they want to try something new we should help them succeed. Thats why i
would like to brainstorm a bit about tracks with you and then we can
bring them over to the dist2010 list. Let me start:

1. Build Systems
I would like to see a build system track. Where different distributions
can introduce theirs and the concepts behind it. Including, but not
limited to, how contributions, maintenance, branching, image building
etc are handled. I think this is a great topic for distros to stimulate
each other. I think all of us could do something here for the OBS. From
conceptual talks down to hands one hacking stuff.

I could do a talk about the collaboration features of the OBS and/or one
about our distribution setup in it.

2. Upstream
I would also like to have an Upstream track where the whole
distro<>upstream relation is discussed. Including release cycles,
contributions, alteration etc. Possible contributions from us would be
vuntz/will/lubos talking about how we handle the desktops or we could
get one of the kernel guys to talk about that.

Brainstorm please! :)

3. Distribution testing and QA
It might be interesting to know how various distributions handle
testing and quality control, what are the processes, policies and
tools (if any) to support developers/community in testing upcoming
maintenance updates, distribution releases etc.

Just my two cents...

--
Best regards / s pozdravem

Petr Uzel, openSUSE Boosters Team