Re: [suse-mirror] RFC: to akamai nor not?

--On fredag, februari 25, 2011 09.24.18 +0100 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

We always used akamai the first hours after release, but it's not
only very complex to maintain, it was also said that it is not
needed and might even harm.

So I would like to know if you think we can do without for 11.4

Greetings, Stephan

Given proper time in advance (so the mirrors can gather the files
even though public access is denied) it should work out just fine.
Many other distros have been doing this for years, just make the
release time clear so all of the mirrors are "flipped open" at the
same time.
(There was some discussion some years back for another
distro about release time vs. time zones. Iirc it ended up with the
time to be specified in a format each mirror admin cuold cut-n-paste
to date to get the flip-time in his/hers local time:-)

For what it's worth ftp.sunet.se have 1-1,5 Gbps to spare.

Best regards,
Emil