The SUSE YaST team started developing some major YaST features for SUSE
Linux Enterprise 12 (SLE12) installer and we would like to include these features in
the next openSUSE-13.2 release.
The features are mainly about making the installer easier and to simplify the
We will not create a completely new installer from scratch (that would need too much
time and manpower), we will reuse the existing functionality as much as possible,
the current installation framework is quite flexible (e.g. the installation steps are
defined in external control.xml file).
Here is the summary of the main goals:
- Remove the second installation stage (started after reboot), configure the system
completely just in one stage, after finishing the installer the freshly installed
system must be ready to use.
- It should be possible to NOT install the Yast installer itself into the target
system to make it smaller (except when firstboot or some complex AutoYast
setup is used, then the installer will be needed).
- Separate the installer into 3 basic steps (collect data, install, apply config),
make the steps replaceable by 3rd party applications.
- It should be possible to use the installer just for configuring the installation
and exporting the setup into a file (without performing the actual installation).
The exported file could be then used to install other system(s). (Like AutoYast
does, the new installer will contain some AutoYast functionality).
- It should be possible to alternatively deploy already existing appliance image
(provided by user) instead of installing from RPMs.
- Simplify the installation workflow, auto-configure what's possible, advanced
setup (NIS, LDAP, Kerberos...) should be done in installed system.
- Use new possibilities for autodetection (e.g. GeoIP for language / time zone
- Works on a system with 512MB RAM only, we also keep in mind the resources needed
for the installer.
More details about the current proposal will be published later.
We would like to discuss these ideas in the openSUSE installer context
so the new installer brings also interesting and important features for the openSUSE
Appliance department / YaST Developer
190 00 Prague 9 / Czech Republic
tel: +420 284 028 960
To unsubscribe, e-mail: yast-devel+unsubscribe(a)opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: yast-devel+owner(a)opensuse.org