SUSE Security Update: Security update for xen ______________________________________________________________________________
Announcement ID: SUSE-SU-2016:3067-1 Rating: important References: #1000106 #1003030 #1003032 #1004981 #1005004 #1005005 #1007157 #1007941 #1009100 #1009103 #1009104 #1009105 #1009107 #1009108 #1009109 #1009111 #1011652 Cross-References: CVE-2016-7777 CVE-2016-7908 CVE-2016-7909 CVE-2016-8667 CVE-2016-8669 CVE-2016-8910 CVE-2016-9377 CVE-2016-9378 CVE-2016-9379 CVE-2016-9380 CVE-2016-9381 CVE-2016-9382 CVE-2016-9383 CVE-2016-9384 CVE-2016-9385 CVE-2016-9386 CVE-2016-9637 Affected Products: SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP2 SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP2 SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP2 ______________________________________________________________________________
An update that fixes 17 vulnerabilities is now available.
xen was updated to version 4.7.1 to fix 17 security issues.
These security issues were fixed:
- CVE-2016-9637: ioport array overflow allowing a malicious guest administrator can escalate their privilege to that of the host (bsc#1011652). - CVE-2016-9386: x86 null segments were not always treated as unusable allowing an unprivileged guest user program to elevate its privilege to that of the guest operating system. Exploit of this vulnerability is easy on Intel and more complicated on AMD (bsc#1009100). - CVE-2016-9382: x86 task switch to VM86 mode was mis-handled, allowing a unprivileged guest process to escalate its privilege to that of the guest operating system on AMD hardware. On Intel hardware a malicious unprivileged guest process can crash the guest (bsc#1009103). - CVE-2016-9385: x86 segment base write emulation lacked canonical address checks, allowing a malicious guest administrator to crash the host (bsc#1009104). - CVE-2016-9384: Guest 32-bit ELF symbol table load leaking host data to unprivileged guest users (bsc#1009105). - CVE-2016-9383: The x86 64-bit bit test instruction emulation was broken, allowing a guest to modify arbitrary memory leading to arbitray code execution (bsc#1009107). - CVE-2016-9377: x86 software interrupt injection was mis-handled, allowing an unprivileged guest user to crash the guest (bsc#1009108). - CVE-2016-9378: x86 software interrupt injection was mis-handled, allowing an unprivileged guest user to crash the guest (bsc#1009108) - CVE-2016-9381: Improper processing of shared rings allowing guest administrators take over the qemu process, elevating their privilege to that of the qemu process (bsc#1009109). - CVE-2016-9379: Delimiter injection vulnerabilities in pygrub allowed guest administrators to obtain the contents of sensitive host files or delete the files (bsc#1009111). - CVE-2016-9380: Delimiter injection vulnerabilities in pygrub allowed guest administrators to obtain the contents of sensitive host files or delete the files (bsc#1009111). - CVE-2016-7777: Xen did not properly honor CR0.TS and CR0.EM, which allowed local x86 HVM guest OS users to read or modify FPU, MMX, or XMM register state information belonging to arbitrary tasks on the guest by modifying an instruction while the hypervisor is preparing to emulate it (bsc#1000106). - CVE-2016-8910: The rtl8139_cplus_transmit function in hw/net/rtl8139.c allowed local guest OS administrators to cause a denial of service (infinite loop and CPU consumption) by leveraging failure to limit the ring descriptor count (bsc#1007157). - CVE-2016-8667: The rc4030_write function in hw/dma/rc4030.c in allowed local guest OS administrators to cause a denial of service (divide-by-zero error and QEMU process crash) via a large interval timer reload value (bsc#1005004). - CVE-2016-8669: The serial_update_parameters function in hw/char/serial.c allowed local guest OS administrators to cause a denial of service (divide-by-zero error and QEMU process crash) via vectors involving a value of divider greater than baud base (bsc#1005005). - CVE-2016-7908: The mcf_fec_do_tx function in hw/net/mcf_fec.c did not properly limit the buffer descriptor count when transmitting packets, which allowed local guest OS administrators to cause a denial of service (infinite loop and QEMU process crash) via vectors involving a buffer descriptor with a length of 0 and crafted values in bd.flags (bsc#1003030). - CVE-2016-7909: The pcnet_rdra_addr function in hw/net/pcnet.c allowed local guest OS administrators to cause a denial of service (infinite loop and QEMU process crash) by setting the (1) receive or (2) transmit descriptor ring length to 0 (bsc#1003032).
These non-security issues were fixed:
- bsc#1004981: Xen RPM didn't contain debug hypervisor for EFI systems - bsc#1007941: Xen tools limited the number of vcpus to 256
To install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update. Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP2:
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SDK-12-SP2-2016-1785=1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP2:
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2016-1785=1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP2:
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-SP2-2016-1785=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use "zypper patch".
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP2 (aarch64 x86_64):
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP2 (x86_64):
xen-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-debugsource-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-doc-html-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-libs-32bit-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-libs-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-libs-debuginfo-32bit-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-libs-debuginfo-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-tools-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-tools-debuginfo-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-tools-domU-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-tools-domU-debuginfo-4.7.1_02-25.1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP2 (x86_64):
xen-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-debugsource-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-libs-32bit-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-libs-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-libs-debuginfo-32bit-4.7.1_02-25.1 xen-libs-debuginfo-4.7.1_02-25.1
https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-7777.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-7908.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-7909.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-8667.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-8669.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-8910.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9377.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9378.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9379.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9380.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9381.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9382.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9383.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9384.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9385.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9386.html https://www.suse.com/security/cve/CVE-2016-9637.html https://bugzilla.suse.com/1000106 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1003030 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1003032 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1004981 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1005004 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1005005 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1007157 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1007941 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1009100 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1009103 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1009104 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1009105 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1009107 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1009108 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1009109 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1009111 https://bugzilla.suse.com/1011652