As many may not read opensuse-factory carefully enough, I would like
to post a little reminder on the roadmap:
- Milestone4 will be released this week, or if impossible due to hackweek
- July 31st is end of alpha phase, there is a feature and version freeze
for the base system. Meaning basically that we will have the major version
of kernel, Xorg, KDE and GNOME ready to go into the beta phase. Patchlevel
updates of these are different story.
- August 6th I intend to do a Milestone5 release, this will be the release
that every developer can verify his features against. With it being done,
everything that can break things that are on the DVD (and that's a lot) is
feature and version frozen.
Note that even though it defines feature freeze, it is not yet a beta. It
will be the worst milestone traditionally and as I said it's main purpose
is to give developers something to fix their specific feature against and
to give us the room to define string freeze not with the completion of the
- Milestone6 will be released on August 20 and this should have then also
include the most recent version of _all_ packages and the implementation of
_all_ features. This would then also include string freeze after the
features were reviewed and the texts proofread.
- Milestone7 will then integrate the first translations and we can verify
the features localized.
- Milestone8 will be october 1st - after the openSUE conference and it
should be nearly complete already, because
- Friday October 9th will be the RC1 checkin deadline. With that we go into
one month of testing unchanged code. This is something that was wanted from
many after 11.1 changed too many things short before release. So everything
after we hopefully can release as online update for the RC1 installations
and factory NET and LIVE isos will continue to be released for testing
is the graphical version in case you
want to look it up. If something is unclear, let me know.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-project+unsubscribe(a)opensuse.org
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-project+help(a)opensuse.org