Another week, another minutes. This time a very active one!
This time I did some manual work to order the conversations inside their main topics, please answer here if I managed to do something wrong!
``` Meeting: Weekly Kubic Project sync meeting
Date: 2018-10-02 15:00:00 UTC
Location: IRC (chat.freenode.net, #kubic channel)
Attendees (alphabetically sorted): * drpaneas * ereslibre * fvogt * marekcounts * mmeister * Pharaoh_Atem * sysrich * vrothberg
Only attendees that interacted are recorded. This is an open meeting, so the list of attendees could potentially be bigger.
Minutes: * openqa for kubeadm testing (sysrich) 2018-10-02 17:00:22 sysrich I have 2 things on the go at the moment. 2018-10-02 17:00:27 sysrich First - Getting openqa.opensuse.org ready for proper cluster testing is progressing well. This is involving reinstalling all of the openqa.opensuse.org hardware and reconfiguring it to use Leap 15 transactional servers. I'm about halfway there and I hope to have this finished by the end of the week. then I will start setting things up for cluster testing. 2018-10-02 17:00:42 sysrich I don't have the time to look at the tests themselves in parralel, so we could do with help getting the openQA tests ready for kubeadm cluster and upgrade testing. I think it might make sense to sync with panos who (if he has any spare time) might already be looking at getting the tests ready for when I have the infra ready. @drpaneas what do you think? 2018-10-02 17:04:48 sysrich drpaneas, we have a rough plan in the trello card - https://trello.com/c/SQERZKi0/39-openqa-testing-for-kubeadm 2018-10-02 17:06:44 marekcounts Ty Daines is interested in getting into helping with upstream testing work. she might be interested in helping make a kubeadm test, you could ask her. 2018-10-02 17:06:58 marekcounts if you all could use the help* 2018-10-02 17:08:52 sysrich marekcounts, yeah, how can we get in touch with Ty? 2018-10-02 17:08:55 marekcounts this meeting? sure. i'll let her know about it. I think it would be 8am for her. so she will not be happy about it for sure! 2018-10-02 17:09:07 Pharaoh_Atem give her an hour and it should be fine ;) 2018-10-02 17:09:22 Pharaoh_Atem 9am is usually much more reasonable 2018-10-02 17:10:16 mmeister Pharaoh_Atem: that's getting a bit late for me :P but we'll figure it out 2018-10-02 17:10:25 marekcounts @sysrich you can hit her up in e-mail for sure. and i'll try to get her to join this meeting next week. * etcd-operator and v1alpha3 kubeadm api (ereslibre) 2018-10-02 17:02:29 ereslibre in the meanwhile, from my side: I've been working with etcd-operator, but had many issues with our current kubernetes desired version (1.11.2). I've switched to start checking the v1alpha3 api of kubeadm that allows us to set multi-master clusters, and I'm currently working on this and in an upstream issue on kubeadm 2018-10-02 17:03:01 sysrich ereslibre, ooh, interesting - did you know you can use 1.12 from devel:kubic? 2018-10-02 17:04:45 ereslibre sysrich: that's nice :), I tried to use kubeadm 1.12, but controller-manager is not yet up-to-date to support it, and it still depends on 1.11 (https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/controller-runtime) 2018-10-02 17:05:19 sysrich ereslibre, awesome, thats something to add to the list of 'things we need before we can upgrade 1.12 in factory' I guess then? 2018-10-02 17:06:17 ereslibre sysrich: yes, I'd first need to understand how the timing of these "external" projects work wrt the kubernetes main version, I don't know if we should block the 1.12 because of that 2018-10-02 17:06:34 Pharaoh_Atem aren't they all version syncd? 2018-10-02 17:07:08 ereslibre Pharaoh_Atem: https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/controller-runtime has nothing 1.12-related yet, as far as I can tell 2018-10-02 17:07:29 Pharaoh_Atem hmm, I guess so 2018-10-02 17:07:33 sysrich ereslibre, might it be 1.12 compatible out of the box? 2018-10-02 17:08:24 ereslibre sysrich: it might be, certainly not at godep level... we have conflicting requirements and I get into a dependency hell :( 2018-10-02 17:08:33 sysrich ereslibre, :-/ * Kubernetes 1.12 (sysrich) 2018-10-02 17:02:46 sysrich ok I guess @drpaneas is busy..so moving on - Second - Kubernetes 1.12 is out, I already packaged it in devel:kubic and basic manual "kubeadm init" and even "kubeadm upgrade" tests suggests things are looking good. I know vrothberg is already contributing cri-o and cri-tools 1.12. Does anyone know if there is anything else needed before we can submit them to Factory? 2018-10-02 17:02:49 drpaneas sysrich, I didn't find any time to check this :/ Thigh might delay since I am quite occupied with the on-boarding of the new team. 2018-10-02 17:03:29 sysrich drpaneas, thanks :) I guessed as much, hence asking for help, we really could do with someone looking at those tests while I'm fighting the hardware 2018-10-02 17:04:08 drpaneas sysrich, if someone is interested to develop a test for kubeadm, should we collect a test-plan and then convert this into openQA code? 2018-10-02 17:08:16 sysrich I've made a trello card so we can track everything we need before we submit k8s 1.12 to Factory - https://trello.com/c/ok1ITWAx/41-submit-k8s-112-to-factory
2018-10-02 17:07:54 marekcounts also. I have been working on creating instructions for backing up and restoring our clusters. hopfully will have that done in the next week or two. 2018-10-02 17:08:06 mmeister marekcounts: sounds good, is it possible for Ty to join the meetings? not sure if that works timezone wise
* mmeister 2018-10-02 17:09:42 mmeister from my side, i have some more time now as well to work again on kubic, i'll catch up with the trello board and obviously if you need me somewhere feel free to ping me directly
* Testing kubic (drpaneas) 2018-10-02 17:11:21 drpaneas 1. I would like to be able to use caasp-devenv for testing kubic purposes. Like quickly setup a cluster in 0-time and start playing with it. Does one knows if this is possible already? or should I look into it? 2018-10-02 17:12:00 ereslibre drpaneas: I suggest you to try https://github.com/kubic-project/kubic-init out; this is a place where we are starting to put effort into 2018-10-02 17:12:26 mmeister drpaneas: caaspdevenv is outdated regarding kubic, as we dropped velum and so on 2018-10-02 17:13:03 drpaneas mmeister, that's my point. I would like to have a devenv that works for kubeadm. What do the other think? 2018-10-02 17:14:01 sysrich drpaneas, I think ereslibre's suggestion is probably better - the goal of kubic-init is meant to be setting up clusters in 0-time and start playing with it (or using in production one day) 2018-10-02 17:14:23 sysrich drpaneas, working on a seperate tool to do an overlapping job with the new tool which is meant to be a key part of the future Kubic & SUSE CaaSP story seems like more work than we need 2018-10-02 17:14:24 Pharaoh_Atem sysrich: perhaps I'm missing something, but do we have disk images for kubic to use as VMs yet? 2018-10-02 17:14:41 Pharaoh_Atem or should I be using the ISO and going through an install process? 2018-10-02 17:14:56 sysrich Pharaoh_Atem, unofficial images: https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/kubic:/images:/experimenta... 2018-10-02 17:15:02 Pharaoh_Atem cool 2018-10-02 17:15:07 Pharaoh_Atem that should help with my OKD stuff 2018-10-02 17:16:00 drpaneas sysrich, alright I will look into kubic-init then. Also, do have any plan to have official KVM images at some point int time? 2018-10-02 17:16:47 sysrich drpaneas, one day, sure - there needs to be a release process in Tumbleweed for VM images first..and I won't be looking at that any time soon
* Raspberry images (drpaneas) 2018-10-02 17:17:33 drpaneas 2. My second question is about RasPi images. Are there any plans for those yet or the only avail. ones are the sysrich personal OBS project? 2018-10-02 17:18:09 sysrich drpaneas, I'll be deleting the ones in my personal OBS project right now ;) 2018-10-02 17:18:17 sysrich drpaneas, but, there are equally unofficial ones in https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/kubic:/images:/experimenta... 2018-10-02 17:18:37 sysrich the kubeadm ones will likely never work - RPi3 is too low resourced - but the Pine64 ones have some home 2018-10-02 17:18:38 sysrich hope* 2018-10-02 17:18:57 drpaneas ok, thanks for your answer, I am covered with mine topics. :)
* Vagrant kernel firmware in kubic images (fvogt) 2018-10-02 17:19:16 fvogt sysrich: I just noticed that vagrant has "kernel-firmware" in kubic-images, is that intentional? 2018-10-02 17:20:26 sysrich fvogt, good question, best to ask jan.farjerski at SUSE, he was the one who did the vagrant flavour 2018-10-02 17:20:36 sysrich fvogt, they want to use it as part of whatever they're doing with Ceph I guess 2018-10-02 17:20:58 fvogt I'll do a sr and add him as reviewer 2018-10-02 17:21:18 sysrich danke
* Origin rebase from 3.9 to 3.10, Origin building in OBS, CRI-O by default in Origin and Buildah adoption in OpenShift (Pharaoh_Atem) 2018-10-02 17:23:33 Pharaoh_Atem 1. I'm starting the work on rebasing my origin package from 3.9 to 3.10 now, and this probably means some adjustments to the kubernetes package might be needed to set up alternatives for a couple of the binaries 2018-10-02 17:23:52 Pharaoh_Atem off the top of my head, kubectl and hyperkube are provided by origin too 2018-10-02 17:24:37 Pharaoh_Atem 2. I've been having problems actually building origin in OBS, as the environment seems to get exhausted easily 2018-10-02 17:24:51 Pharaoh_Atem is there something I can do to make it so that it selects environments where it's buildable? 2018-10-02 17:24:58 sysrich Q to 1.kubectl and hyperkube - they couldn't be fulfilled by pulling from the kubernetes package? 2018-10-02 17:25:27 Pharaoh_Atem sysrich: I am not sure, it's something worth investigating, but they might be extended to support OpenShift's additional functionality 2018-10-02 17:25:34 sysrich Pharaoh_Atem, https://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.build_... 2018-10-02 17:26:28 Pharaoh_Atem also, I'm considering just making OpenShift on Kubic default to CRI-O 2018-10-02 17:26:32 Pharaoh_Atem just as kubernetes does 2018-10-02 17:26:43 Pharaoh_Atem no reason not to, as OpenShift supports it as well as k8s does 2018-10-02 17:26:47 sysrich awesome! 2018-10-02 17:27:23 Pharaoh_Atem and a bit of a heads-up, OpenShift is going to change to use buildah for building containers in the near future by default 2018-10-02 17:27:41 Pharaoh_Atem I think vrothberg has packaged this already? Would this be available in the kubic distribution too? 2018-10-02 17:28:26 sysrich buildah's already in kubic/TW, yes 2018-10-02 17:28:46 Pharaoh_Atem cool 2018-10-02 17:28:49 vrothberg Yep, it's there :) 2018-10-02 17:28:53 Pharaoh_Atem excellent ```