On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:33:14 +0000 Nelson Marques email@example.com wrote:
A few things about Banshee in openSUSE:
- Banshee default upstream extensions are all packaged in a bundle
- Banshee has a dependency on the 'banshee-default-extensions' bundle
(which leads to installing the whole thing);
- Not all users (including me) want all the extensions installed by
Other packages with extensions/plugins on openSUSE:
- Many packages in openSUSE have plugins and extensions available,
and the majority of them (at least those I know) don't install the whole thing, they install a few and the users are able to escalate in features by installing aditional packages... For example, Evolution is one of this cases (I'm sure everyone can come up with a similar example).
- Not all the stuff interests the majority of users and openSUSE does
offer somehow a bloated solution in many cases (that's how I see it);
What I would like to do (since except for Vincent's fix patches and Dimstar reviews/updates, no one else besides me is putting work on this package):
- Split the default extensions bundle into single extension packages
(this would allow users to escalate features by installing additional packages, like in Evolution);
- Keep the default extensions bundle (banshee-default-extensions)
with only the hardware/protocol support extensions and still list it as a dependency of 'banshee' main package (which provides the extra functionality many users do want);
- Don't add explicit dependencies on 'banshee' on the splitted
extensions from the default extensions bundle (ex: youtube, wikipedia, etc)...
Now... anyone has anything to say about this?? Speak now or don't rant in the future.... Of course that by raising problems to a maintainer of a package to which you don't work might implicate the same as stating that: "I want to become the maintainer of this package and I will maintai it to keep stuff as __I__ want".
Hi So why not start a poll also in the forum for some end user feedback?