it has been two weeks since the latest status, so here is a new update on the systemd
status on Factory :
- nobody has yet tested how install and firstboot reacts with systemd.
We definitively need tests on that and some expertise on how the install process work to
- basic support for systemctl in chkconfig and insserv : DONE (waiting review by
- a patch has been submitted to upstream systemd to parse insserv.conf : DONE and MERGED
- Yast2 support for systemd : need help from people in Yast team
- /usr as a separate partition : the solution is to mount /usr from initramfs. One of our
initramfs guys thinks it can be done
but it needs more investigations. This work would also resolve /usr issues for sysvinit
- $ALL will not be supported by systemd : opened bug report for the various users :
SuSEfirewall2_setup (bnc#696902), suse-ami-tools (bnc#705502), stoppreload (not sure it is
worth opening a bug, since systemd takes care of readahead),
- X-Interactive support in systemd is not working properly : it would be nice to get it
fixed upstream but nobody is working on it (help welcome of course).
- openvpn and apache2 are both relying on X-Interactive : packages using systemd
ask-password service have been done (available on home:fcrozat:systemd project), they are
waiting testing and review from maintainers.
- startup console is getting mixed up (if you disable quiet) : it is caused by agetty from
latest util-linux package. Fortunately, it is fixed in upstream git, thanks to Werner
Fink, so next upstream release will fix it.
- console keyboard configuration might not be working properly : currently, systemd is
parsing /etc/sysconfig/keyboard but isn't doing all the various (and sometime scary)
commands /etc/init.d/kbd is doing. We need to fix this (volunteers ? )
- somebody showed me a nice systemd integration in gfxboot, where you will be able to
choose between SysV and systemd (and even direct shell) by using function keys in
graphical grub interface. Look at Factory in a few days !
- I've added some info on how to get some debugging for systemd, on the wiki (changes
are pending review ATM)
- RPM macros are progressing :
* we have a set of initial macros working fine, but after discussing with some people,
we might enhance the suse implementation to automagically handle legacy initscripts (this
part will not be pushed upstream)
* the way to handle migration from sysv initscript to systemd service files might still
need some work. If we could avoid triggers, it would be best (because we should avoid
triggers and with OBS, it is very difficult to get them working properly)
* macros are still sitting on systemd package but the plan is to move them on rpm
package when they'll be stable enough
In short, things are going in the right direction but we are not done yet and we really
need your help :
either on the issues I mentioned (feel free to say "I want to help on this"
here or on #opensuse-factory) or to do more tests or even to start creating .service files
(but we still need to fix the issues listed
(I'll be off until end of July (which means no systemd hacking, before you ask ;) but
it should stop anybody to contribute on systemd ;)
Thanks everybody for your attention.
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat(a)suse.com>
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe(a)opensuse.org
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-factory+help(a)opensuse.org