--- Comment #6 from Stakanov Schufter <stakanov(a)freenet.de> ---
I can now confirm (after a complete new install of TW) that the problem does
hit also a virgin TW.
Actually what happens are two bugs, I will open another one on a plasma issue
that may or may not be connected. However I will do so after having had a bit
of feedback and advise on how to debug / discerne what is actually the problem.
a) I notice a growing system load on one of the users. This starts with
fluctuating CPU usage of 5 to 15 then 20 to 40% finally after a while it goes
up to 100% and the system gets sluggish. That sluggishness is confined in that
severity of this plasma user being on the active TTY.
b) whenever I open two user, the second user will eventually crash (I suppose
this, I do not actually see the issue but when changing user) and "migrate" of
one TTY so: TTY7 first user, TT8 second user. When shifting from second user to
first and then back (no matter how - with Ctrl+Alt+Fn or via the menu of
Plasma) this will cause the second user to be not on TTY8 to TTY9. All other
TTY displays but TTY1 are then unusable, no prompt, no activity, TTY10 goes
black, no output.
c) it does not matter if the user hit by the CPU bug is the first or second to
d) it does influence the user hit by the CPU bug, when it happens, as the
sluggishness and impossibility of completing actions (after a click it takes up
to 10 seconds for a reaction) is greatly enhanced in speed of degradation and
What did I do up to now: after having read a bug report on KDE from 2019 (by
itself not conclusive) I tried to eliminate the entire cache from the user with
the CPU load. That gave a slight advance, but after few time the problem
returns. (In order to eliminate the folder, all local users were offline, and
the cleaning was done via root. Permissions of folder were checked, the
reconstruction of the default /home/.cache was done by plasma, when the user
This allowed to be sure no essential data would be lost or anything damaged.
I noticed the "culprit" of load being either "plasmashell" or
main part of the time it is "plasmashell" showing 100% of load.
I will be happy to try to debug this, because that user results practically
invalidated by this bug.
When switching to the other user, the session is usable and, although slightly
more load, not showing less usability.
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.