I'm glad to announce the third public alpha release of openSUSE 10.3.
Important Changes Since Alpha2
The following are some highlights of Alpha3 compared to Alpha2:
* On x86-64: Firefox is now a 64-bit package and uses nspluginwrapper
to handle 32-bit i386 plugins if needed.
* AppArmor uses now a new parser. The kernel patches have been
reworked completely. Please do test AppArmor extensively (see below).
* GNOME 2.18 mostly integrated.
* Update to Kernel 2.6.21 RC5
* New opensuse-updater running natively under GNOME
* Further fixes for using libata by default for IDE devices
* New yast2-ftp-server module.
* The package manager handles more than one CD/DVD drive.
A more detailed list of changes is available via
Most Annoying Bugs
So far the following critical bugs have been found, please read before
* Java applications are not working due to implementation errors in
SUN Java. Bug 252510 Workaround here and also adding
"LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=1" to the environment.
* The installation of vim-normal might fail, just ignore it Bug 262706
* Branding and translations are still at the 10.2 level Bug 240598
* The Radeon driver is broken and crashes the X server Bug
263199. Workaround: Disable the MergedFB option (see bugreport).
* Installation with several CD-ROMs might crash at some point Bug 263207
* gnome-main-menu might crash in some installations. bug
263294. Fix: Reinstall gnome-main-menu with --force (you might
want to install a new control-center2 package without the
duplicated libslab, it's available from the ftp server under
The list of annoying bugs is found here as well, please update it if
you find more:
Call for Testing
* libata for IDE devices
We're using the libata stack now also for IDE controllers. Please
do test that an update works and all files are changed
automatically (libata uses /dev/sda for the first harddisk instead
of /dev/hda). Disks with more than 15 partitions are not handled
right now, we're still evaluating whether there is a good solution.
to use the old scheme, boot with "hwprobe=-modules.pata".
* Kiwi scripts for LiveDVD
We release the Kiwi tool together with a configuration for creating
a LiveDVD of openSUSE 10.3. It can be created by anyone, you just
need to call one simple script. Please find detailed instructions
and a list of known issues here:
- Behavior Changes:
New rules to distinguish directories from files:
The previous behavior made no explicit handling for directories. The new
kernel module makes access to directories explicit and distinguished by the
addition of a trailing '/' to a rule that identifies it as a directory.
/path/to/somewhere r, # Gives read access to the path
# whether a file or directory
/path/to/somewhere/* r, # Read access to all files and directories
# in /path/to/somewhere
/path/to/somewhere/** r, # Read access to all files and directories
# under /path/to/somewhere
/path/to/somewhere/* r, # Gives read access to files in the directory
/path/to/somewhere/ r, # Gives read access to the directory
# element only
/path/**/ r, # Gives read access to all directory entries
# under /path
/path/to/somewhere/** r, # Gives access to files and directories under
- Included Profiles:
The current apparmor-profiles package only ships with the
abstractions and a profile for ping. We are working to update the
existing profiles and they will be included in the next alpha
Testers and profile developers should focus testing efforts on
profile deveopment with the tools (in YaST or at the console).
Media and Download
openSUSE 10.3 Alpha1 for i386, x86-64 and ppc comes as different media
* 5 CDs
* 1 AddOn CD with only NonOSS packages on it
* 1 AddOn CD with language packages that are used for extra
languages (the 5 CDs contain support for english, french, italian, spanish,
german, chinese, japanese, czech, danish, norwegian, khmer,
hungarian, polish) (the 5 CDs have support for installation in all
languages, just extra packages are only on this extra media)
* 1 DVD containing the contents of the 5 CDs and the NonOSS AddOn CD
* CDs/DVDs containing the sources corresponding to the media
We have created Delta ISOs from openSUSE 10.3 Alpha2. Please use them
The DVDs and the source media are only available via bittorrent.
Please report all bugs you find on in our bugzilla as explained in
, discussion is most appropriate on the
opensuse-factory(a)opensuse.org mailing list.
To download media, please use the links provided at:
Andreas Jaeger, aj(a)suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj/
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F FED1 389A 563C C272 A126