Re: [opensuse] Laptop experience
On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:24 AM Michael Hirmke <mh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's why the fingerprint reader doesn't exist on Linux versions of this
notebook.

I saw that people were complaining that Dell lied when they sold the
Ubuntu laptop with hardware that could not be used. They wanted a
credit for the non-functioning hardware they had paid for. $20 USD or
something like that. I think Dell said, screw this. We'll just remove
the hardware. So the joke is on the complainers: now there will be
less chance for Linux support as the hardware is no longer present. It
takes all kinds of people...

Anyway, all good progress. Time to stop messing around and get to work with
this thing.

So no more fun :)

I have a Thunderbolt device that I am curious about. It came with a
Lenovo laptop, so I'm really just screwing around to see what works
and what does not work. When I plug it in, some messages are given.
But none of the hardware is activated. I'm new to Thunderbolt. I would
have thought that the hardware would be sort of like USB in that the
Linux device driver would work everywhere that has a Thunderbolt
interface. Of course, I don't know if the Lenovo Thunderbolt thing
works on Linux on a Thinkpad. So that's something to play with.

I've also not explored the display port stuff and my antiquated
displays. Something else to play with.

But this is a work laptop. I will have to muck about with these thins
on my own time...

--
Roger Oberholtzer