Re: [opensuse] Where to report bad mirrors?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:00:40 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 11/06/2019 03:20, Per Jessen wrote:
I think we can conclude (with some guessing) -

Granted.
But ...

[snip]
Yes, statistically speaking, traceroute might tell you stuff about
getting to that server in Hong Kong from Toronto is a fast hop to a
router in New York then a fantastic pipe that goes past the Horn of
Africa: just 4 hops, TO to HK! bB comparison the route to the server
in Kosmograd is 9 hops away and 'ping' says it is four times the
delay. But what's the load on the server in HK and
the server in Kosmograd? What's the packet loss rate, not on the
route, but discarded at the end due to lack of buffer space?

For this sort of thing, I use traceroute to actually show me the route.
I'm certainly no expert on internet peering setups, but when I see an
odd route, like my own connection to Uni Lisboa going via some location
in Milan, I suspect poor peering. No doubt much smarter people than me
will point to better tools to investigate (looking glass,
https://www.peeringdb.com/ maybe)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.2°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.