Re: [opensuse] How to connect two servers through an Ethernet A/B switch and not change the upstream MAC addy?
On 6/10/19 11:01 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Lew Wolfgang wrote:

On 6/10/19 9:12 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 07:46:30 -0700
Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, a second MAC and port could be used, but then each server
would have different IP addresses.
Not so, it's a lot easier to use the same IP address for the two
machines if only one will be connected at any time.
Yes, I agree.  But upstream, over which I have no control, maps IP
addresses with MAC addresses.
This is not just ARP I take it?

Correct, not just ARP.

Also, static IP's aren't allowed, DHCP only.   It's also a dual-stack
v4/v6 network, which complicates things.
Presumably you have DHCP clients on your primary ond your standby?
That's fine, but if you can't reserve one fixed address, that makes a
bit more problematic. The dual stack does not matter.

Yes, the servers run DHCP clients.  I use dnsmasq to control the private subnet
behind
the servers.

Yes, I can't reserve a static IP addy.  MAC addresses are manually entered into
an LDAP database
which is used to open a switch port when that MAC appears on a port.  The
DHCP-dispensed IP addy
comes from that same LDAP database.

Regards,
Lew