Re: [opensuse] How to connect two servers through an Ethernet A/B switch and not change the upstream MAC addy?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 19:58:28 +0200
Lew Wolfgang wrote:

10.06.2019 20:24, Lew Wolfgang пишет:
On 6/10/19 9:33 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
We've got about 100 local users
using svnserve, samba, NFS, and direct ssh logins, and we need to
be able to quickly switch between the two servers transparently.
I would say a moving IP address is what you need.
But that would require those 100 users to change their various
client configurations
to track which server is on-line.
No, it won't. They will continue to use the same IP address.

But the well-known IP address is tied to only one of the server's via
its MAC.  The upstream network maps IP's to MAC's, so to have a static
IP I'd need a static MAC. I've got only low-level web-based access to
the DNS system, which limits my options.

"The upstream network maps IP's to MAC's," - what does that mean? You
have two static MAC addresses, each has a fixed address, and one
address can move between them, by way of ARP. It's a perfectly normal
HA setup.

The most reliable method would have users not using IP's or A-record
hostnames, but only a CNAME that can be changed as needed.

What is wrong with giving your users a servername =

lew.example.com = 192.168.123.99

As the address is assigned on the primary, they go to the primary. When
the address is assigned on the standby ....

It sounds like there is a restriction in your network that we don't know
about?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.8°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.