Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.1 Installation Experience
Lew Wolfgang composed on 2019-06-08 08:41 (UTC-0700):

Felix Miata wrote:

For those with NVidia GPU not using non-FOSS software, do your upgrade
online:

1-Lock the kernel (zypper al kernel-defaul*)
2-zypper dup upgrade
3-Install release kernel lp151.27 (answer Y to remove lock; it will remain in
effect until you do zypper rl kernel-defaul*)

If using (non-FOSS) NVidia driver or booting using nomodeset, lp151.28 is
not broken.

Remote login also works as expected using the lp151.28 kernel.

If using Optimus/Prime, you may not be affected by the lp151.28 failure:
<https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/536295-Is-there-an-upgrade-path-for-Leap-42-3-to-Leap-15-1?p=2904848#post2904848>

Thanks for the pointers, Felix.  But how will this work for fresh installs
on systems without Internet connectivity?  Some of these particular
systems are still running 13.2!

By "online" I meant using zypper dup to do the upgrade. This is the process I
nearly always use, including kernel locking. New kernels I always install last,
or
later.

Those with no internet connectivity, only the installation media, have no access
to the bad kernel, so the potential for a usable upgrade from installation media
exists. It would depend on whether and which optional repos are kept enabled. If
none, it should be good.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/