Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.1 Installation Experience
On 06/08/2019 08:41 AM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
On 06/08/2019 12:41 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
  Thanks Lew and Felix. So this means if I update from 42.3 to 15.1 with the
Nvidia drivers loaded, I can update OK, but on first zypper up when I pull in
the updated kernel, things will break?
For those with NVidia GPU not using non-FOSS software, do your upgrade online:

1-Lock the kernel (zypper al kernel-defaul*)
2-zypper dup upgrade
3-Install release kernel lp151.27 (answer Y to remove lock; it will remain in
effect until you do zypper rl kernel-defaul*)

If using (non-FOSS) NVidia driver or booting using nomodeset, lp151.28 is not
broken.

Remote login also works as expected using the lp151.28 kernel.

If using Optimus/Prime, you may not be affected by the lp151.28 failure:
<https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/536295-Is-there-an-upgrade-path-for-Leap-42-3-to-Leap-15-1?p=2904848#post2904848>

Thanks for the pointers, Felix.  But how will this work for fresh installs
on systems without Internet connectivity?  Some of these particular
systems are still running 13.2!

Ah, I think I get it.  Felix:  would a fresh full-install of 15.1 without a
network
connection work?  The kernel could then be locked, network connected, and
and then perform an update?  Once the on-line kernel is fixed, unlock
kernel-defaul*?

Or, is the kernel on the 15.1 DVD broken with Nvidia?

Regards,
Lew