[opensuse] Re: Dead disk
On 06/06/2019 12:00 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Hi,

My only 3 TB Seagate disk died suddenly, at 19447 hours of use. Smartctl
was perfect one day, thousand of bad sectors the next day. Report
attached.

I bought a new disk and tried dd_rhelp to try recover some. It coredumped
after a while. So I switched to ddrescue instead, which did finished - but
it recovered less than 1%.

Ouch!

I feel your pain. I just had a 42.3 box scatter in the most bizarre way I've
ever seen. Was rsync'ing files to it. (no doubt a capacitor was getting flaky)
The machine froze during rsync, would boot just fine, but then would not allow
a user login (boots fine to kdm or to console). It's like it no longer has the
links/whatever needed to authenticate.

I booted via the install, chrooted, ran zypper up, and there were a number
of shared-object files reported as zero-length, e.g.:

Additional rpm output:
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib64/libwiretap.so.7 is empty, not checked.
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib64/libwscodecs.so.1.1.0 is empty, not checked.
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib64/libwiretap.so.7.0.14 is empty, not checked.
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib64/libwiretap.so.7 is empty, not checked.
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib64/libwscodecs.so.1.1.0 is empty, not checked.
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib64/libwiretap.so.7.0.14 is empty, not checked.

So something is FUBAR. The chroot went fine and running zypper-up went fine,
but clearly there were libraries that got hosed somehow. (? bad/corrupt
address caused files to be written wiping out libs? -- never thought that was
possible running rsync as a non-privileged user)

So a board issue can radically affect how/what the disk does. This was on an
old laptop (probably 12 years old or so), so board replacement is a nogo. Just
sucks to lose a beautiful 17" display (even if the little ticks on the 'F' and
'J' keys are worn off, just improved your hand position :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.