Re: [opensuse] Laptop experience
  • From: mh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Hirmke)
  • Date: 05 Jun 2019 21:07:00 +0200
Hi Roger,

I'm considering getting a Dell XPS 13 (9380) to run Tumbleweed.
Although it can be bought with Ubuntu, which implies decent Linux
compatibility, I'm curious if anyone has experience running Tumbleweed
on this computer?

I am using a DELL XPS13 9370, which I bought in the Ubuntu
configuration. For external Thunderbolt and USB devices I use a CalDigit
T3 Plus dock.
Tumbleweed runs without real problems on this notebook - not more than I
had with my desktop machine before.

It will probably be delivered with Windows 10 as that is the most
common model in Sweden. I won't run Ubuntu anyway. I recall someone
saying that the Windows license is in the BIOS (or whatever the
comparable place is called these days), and that Windows can get the
license from there. Meaning that I might be able to install Windows in
VirtualBox and the delivered license be used. (VB would pass this info
on?) That's nor a requirement. Just curious if I got that right.

As written above, I bought this notebook in the Ubuntu configuration,
which is slightly different from the Windows one - it doesn't have a
fingerprint reader and it doesn't come with a Windows license. Besides
that there seem to be different BIOS versions for each of the two
versions.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Bye.