Re: [opensuse] Laptop experience
On 06/04/2019 02:05 PM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
It will probably be delivered with Windows 10 as that is the most
common model in Sweden. I won't run Ubuntu anyway. I recall someone
saying that the Windows license is in the BIOS (or whatever the
comparable place is called these days), and that Windows can get the
license from there. Meaning that I might be able to install Windows in
VirtualBox and the delivered license be used. (VB would pass this info
on?) That's nor a requirement. Just curious if I got that right.

I have not heard anything like that yet, so I'll be curious about other
replies. If the laptop doesn't have 2 drive bays, then I'd buy another SSD and
just remove and put the windows disk on the shelf and do a fresh install to a
new SSD for Linux.

If there is some new firmware holding licenses, I haven't run across it yet.
I've just used the traditional activation when running windows in virtualbox
and have had no problems.

What virtualbox does do is provide reporting of the CPU used in the laptop as
the CPU presented by vbox. So from that standpoint, running in vbox will not
trigger a re-auth based on a CPU change, but I haven't heard that vbox has
anything to do with passing the running OS through so it can utilize a license
held somewhere else.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.