On 08/05/2019 17.30, James Knott wrote:
On 05/08/2019 11:26 AM, James Knott wrote:
I don't know why you get something different.  I'm running 15.0.

I just edited resolv.conf to change "search" to "domain" and it still works.

I don't think I follow?

You added a line on resolv.conf with

domain jknott.net

?

Ah, I see:

(man)
domain Local domain name.
Most queries for names within this domain can use short names
relative to the local domain. If set to '.', the root domain is
considered. If no domain entry is present, the domain is determined
from the local hostname returned by gethostname(2); the domain part is
taken to be everything after the first '.'. Finally, if the hostname
does not contain a domain part, the root domain is assumed.

It says that if not present, it is obtained from gethostname(2). How can
that call know the fqdn from DNS using only the "name", not the domain
name? For instance, the dns can know about several machines with the
same name and different domains.

So we have for writing the domain part:

domain whateverdomain (in resolv.conf)
name.whateverdomain (/etc/hostname)