On 08/05/2019 13.29, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Certainly. But that's not the majority. There is a demand/request for
removing postfix from the default install.

That disappeared long ago. Precisely because of daemons such as crond,
mdadmd, smartd needing a place to report their results. Makes me
wonder - how do systemd timers handle the output? Just wondering out
loud, I hadn't thought about that one before.

I don't know, either.

Even if no cron job and no other daemon will use sendmail to
drop mails into the queue, postfix is still started, it's the
default.

True, but ignored. There are people that don't know it is there and
are surprised when they find out. Then some want to remove it.

I think you missed the point - postfix is started and runs, with no
problems, in the default config. If people don't know about it, that's
their problem :-)

Yeah, I know it runs fine by default.

Also, I still don't see how that 127.0.0.2 entry
will make postfix fail. postfix, by default, only listens
on "localhost".

Well, it does.

I submit - in the default config it does not. When you then change the
config, it's entirely up to you.

Maybe if it "knows" the machine name is gaston.local.net then it tries
to locate the interface; hosts says it is 127.0.0.2, and then fails to
bind to that address, it has no interface. Something like that.

There is no black magic here, postfix does exactly as it is told. In
the case of 'gaston', postfix never touches eth0, it only listens on
loopback. Of course, if the config is changed to include listening
on 'gaston.local.net' = 127.0.0.2, then postfix will fail.

But all my LAN machines with openSUSE (except some test partitions) have
a postfix that listens on the eth0 or wifi port and accept/send mails to
other machines in the LAN. I have to change the default config for that
- and typically, I use the YaST mail module for this change.

Now that in 15.1 the 127.0.0.2 line is not created, I don't expect that
problem. There might be problems with some other applications (I don't
remember which) that required that entry.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.