Re: [opensuse] Where to set the domain name? - Leap 15.1 beta - updating DNS according to DHCP
On 08/05/2019 13.07, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 08/05/2019 09.06, Per Jessen wrote:
+++............
Hi,

Elesar:~ # hostname -f
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:~ # hostname -d
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:~ # hostname -y
Elesar:~ # hostname -A
Elesar:~ # hostname
Elesar
Elesar:~ #

Okay, my mistake, I didn't take that to be all there is. FWIW, I see
no such issue here. (different situation though, working dns).

I have a working local dns, with dnsmaq in another computer.
But I have a dns in the LAN, just not in this machine.

But it is not being updated when your dhcp dishes out addresses, I
presume.

Correct.

If it were me, I think I would put an 'nsupdate' call in my
NetworkManager or wicked scripts/hooks.

Ok, I can look into that. This setup is using wicked. Any RTFM guide for
dummies about wicked hooks? :-)

Maybe the answer is "you can not set the domain name of the machine.
You have to set it up in the DNS. The query about your own IP
answers
the fqdn". But that answer does not consider multiple domains,
so... :-?

Ah, I remember: the local dns has no answer for my IP.

Yes, that would certainly explain your situation.

The IP is dynamic. I could just write numbered entries for the dhcp
range, of course. No way to sync with the dhcp server at the router,
obviously. Not expensive enough for such a feature (unless there is
someway I don't know about).

It _might_ just have such ddns options, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

For the external IP only. DynDNS.org, TZO, or No-IP, not any other.
Certainly not "write your own".

Anyway, use nsupdate.

I'll have a look. [...] I have a doubt this can work with dnsmasq? It
is not a full fledged DNS server. [...] Google says it is not possible.

Google dnsmasq and nsupdate

domain name system - Pull DNS entries from Dnsmasq to other DNS ...
https://serverfault.com/.../pull-dns-entries-from-dnsmasq-to-other-...

25 jul. 2018 - Use this script to do an nsupdate on the main DNS server.
The main server can't be dnsmasq because dnsmasq doesn't support this
kind of ...

http://lightofdawn.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/-wiki/LocalDynamicDns

They use netcat to drop a file into a directory that dnsmasq reads with
the entry for "this" machine, and then tell dnsmaq to reload. Seems a hack.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.