  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 13:07:47 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 08/05/2019 09.06, Per Jessen wrote:
+++............
Hi,

Elesar:~ # hostname -f
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:~ # hostname -d
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:~ # hostname -y
Elesar:~ # hostname -A
Elesar:~ # hostname
Elesar
Elesar:~ #

Okay, my mistake, I didn't take that to be all there is. FWIW, I see
no such issue here. (different situation though, working dns).

I have a working local dns, with dnsmaq in another computer.
But I have a dns in the LAN, just not in this machine.

But it is not being updated when your dhcp dishes out addresses, I
presume.

If it were me, I think I would put an 'nsupdate' call in my
NetworkManager or wicked scripts/hooks.

Maybe the answer is "you can not set the domain name of the machine.
You have to set it up in the DNS. The query about your own IP
answers
the fqdn". But that answer does not consider multiple domains,
so... :-?

Ah, I remember: the local dns has no answer for my IP.

Yes, that would certainly explain your situation.

The IP is dynamic. I could just write numbered entries for the dhcp
range, of course. No way to sync with the dhcp server at the router,
obviously. Not expensive enough for such a feature (unless there is
someway I don't know about).

It _might_ just have such ddns options, but I wouldn't bet on it either.
Anyway, use nsupdate.

I don't think it would be right for our network config to assume the
presence of a local DNS. Maybe the question ought to be "with no
local DNS, why do you need a local domain name?"

Completeness? :-)

I don't see why I would not need a domain name, though? I had always
one. Ah, yes: tools like postfix or leafnode demand it. Specifically
leafnode insists on fqdn working.

It probably depends on what you do with postfix, but for the default
setup, that would mean everyone here having the same issue, starting
with 15.0. I don't know anything about leafnode, for fetching
newsgroups from an external server, it probably makes sense to have an
fqdn (even it's private).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.1°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.