On 08/05/2019 10.41, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 08/05/2019 09.29, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

[snip]

Oh, I know very well how to combine "in Linux" dnsmasq with a proper
dhcp server. But remember, in this case, I can not ensure control of
the dhcp server. I may be a guest at somebody else's place, I may be
using Android tethering... (actual situations in which my laptop
gets into).

We are probably all in similar situations every now and then. I know
I am. I guess you're using your portable machine for something else
than I do.

Not many people use postfix nowdays to send mail outside, instead of
directly from Thunderbird or whatever.

Anyone who runs cron or mdadm will be using postfix to send mails
outside.

Certainly. But that's not the majority. There is a demand/request for
removing postfix from the default install.

Even if no cron job and no other daemon will use sendmail to
drop mails into the queue, postfix is still started, it's the default.

True, but ignored. There are people that don't know it is there and are
surprised when they find out. Then some want to remove it.

Another question: how can YaST write that entry if it doesn't know the
domain name?

Does YaST write that entry, in 15.1 ? In 15.1, I can't find that
option Andrei mentioned "Assign hostname to loopback", so it probably
doesn't.

It has disappeared, I notice now. Yesterday I did not know in what panel
it was.

On 15.0, when I ticked that box, I see

127.0.0.2 gaston.local.net gaston

added to /etc/hosts.

Right.

Also, I still don't see how that 127.0.0.2 entry
will make postfix fail. postfix, by default, only listens
on "localhost".

Well, it does. Perhaps it needs some other setting that you don't use
and I don't know which. Maybe the one that defines the interface or the
name or domain to use. Or maybe you have to restart it.

Maybe if it "knows" the machine name is gaston.local.net then it tries
to locate the interface; hosts says it is 127.0.0.2, and then fails to
bind to that address, it has no interface. Something like that.

I do not want to spend time configuring postfix in this test machine, it
is complicated - one of those Spanish things James Knott says :-) - that
our ISPs do not provide smarthosts.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.