  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 09:06:44 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 07/05/2019 08.31, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

But on other machines, postfix does not start if the host and domain
names do not work.

Well, here we should probably restrict ourselves to what happens on
Leap15.1. postfix is no doubt running fine, it is started by
default.

Maybe, but I'm not testing it now. It is quite complicated to do, I'm
examining previous steps that I would need to set it up. Setting the
domain name is one step, I found a hurdle, and asked. Simple! I don't
understand the brouhaha and some people getting angry, as if hitting a
bees nest :-(

My interpretation - you found a missing field in the YaST network
config, others explained it was not needed, you weren't convinced, then
I suggested you describe the problem you're seeing.

I still don't see any description of the actual problem you are
seeing. Preferably with error messages etc.

First post in the thread:

+++............
Hi,

Elesar:~ # hostname -f
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:~ # hostname -d
hostname: Name or service not known
Elesar:~ # hostname -y
Elesar:~ # hostname -A
Elesar:~ # hostname
Elesar
Elesar:~ #

Okay, my mistake, I didn't take that to be all there is. FWIW, I see no
such issue here. (different situation though, working dns).

office33:/var/lib/tempmon # hostname -f
office33.example.com
office33:/var/lib/tempmon # cat /etc/HOSTNAME
office33:/var/lib/tempmon #

"hostname -f" does an address lookup - getaddrinfo() - which will most
likely be satisfied by nscd. On my system above, I suspect it looks at
the search option in /etc/resolv.conf, then does a lookup
of "office33.example.com" which is fine. On your system this does not
work, as you have no local dns?

So, I start and look into Network Settings, and in hostname I try to
write a domain name after a dot - it does not allow me to set a domain
name.

Right, that's the normal behaviour.

Where is one supposed to write the domain name?
............++-
I think it is pretty simple! :-)

Time for bugzilla then :-)

Maybe the answer is "you can not set the domain name of the machine.
You have to set it up in the DNS. The query about your own IP answers
the fqdn". But that answer does not consider multiple domains,
so... :-?

A machine will always only have one name, but may be reached by multiple
other names.

I don't think it would be right for our network config to assume the
presence of a local DNS. Maybe the question ought to be "with no local
DNS, why do you need a local domain name?"

But then I would ask: "what was then the purpose of the missing domain
name entry box that previous yast versions had? If it was not to set
the domain name of the machine, then what was its purpose?" It has
been there for decades.

It's a moot point now, but looking at some of my elderly machines, the
domain name was written to /etc/HOSTNAME - I see e.g. "linux.suse"
or "linux-0ya0.site" on some of them.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)