  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 08:04:19 +0200
Darryl Gregorash wrote:

On 2019-05-07 12:35 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Maybe that man page was supposed to have been updated long ago. I
have no 'domain' statement in any resolv.conf, anywhere. I wonder
if there is even a dhcp option for setting it. (if it's important,
there ought to be one).

There is a DHCP option; without it, I would not have a FQDN at all.

In my dhcpd.conf I see e.g. "option domain-name", in my dhcpv6.conf
there's no such option. Neither seems to cause anything to be written
to /etc/resolv.conf. (even on very old systems, going back to 10.3).

According to ISC:

The domain-name data type specifies a domain name, which must not be
enclosed in double quotes. This data type is not used for any existing
DHCP options. The domain name is stored just as if it were a text
option.

I have just now removed that option from the config. Let's see if
anything happens :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)