On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 4:30:13 AM CDT Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
Even if this is mixed up:

NIS (Network Information Service) != DNS (Domain Name System)
[...]

I think the following provides fair clue. It'll give me plenty to read,
anyway. I'd like to see a top down overview that gets into things from this
angle, but I don't think one is available that is in any way current.

I know that entering a domain name in Yast makes leafnode happy.

sgt:~ # fetchnews -vv
leafnode 1.11.11: verbosity level is 2, debugmode is 0
try_lock(timeout=5), fqdn="sgt.decathlon.org"
reader80.eternal-september.org: connecting to port 80...
reader80.eternal-september.org: connected to 144.76.35.198:80, reply: 200
reader80.eternal-september.org: connected.
[...]

It won't do that if it doesn't get that "fqdn" (from Yast in this case).

The whole stack, or chain, or pile of software involved can get pretty
confusing. For instance, Yast>Network Settings>Hostname/DNS shows "Name Server
1 is 8.8.8.8. Why? Because I entered that in Network Manager's configuration
for a particular interface, and that was done because Sprint DNS munges
entries. It would try to sell me ietf.org!