On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 03:56:26AM -0500, Robert T Hardy wrote:
On Monday, May 6, 2019 11:09:44 PM CDT Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
06.05.2019 23:37, Robert T Hardy пишет:
On Monday, May 6, 2019 12:53:13 PM CDT Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
What exactly does not work now? What setting (on actual system, not in
YaST) is missing now? What should have happened if you had Domain input
field?

It's likely package leafnode won't work without a FQDN.

"Domain Name" field in YaST has very little to do with FQDN.

OK. It's what I did back in about 13.1 days in order to get leafnode to
work.
And I did it again with a 15.0 fresh install despite problems I don't
remember
with Yast, referenced in this thread. For all my trouble I get the log
messages:

May 07 03:18:24 sgt.decathlon.org nscd[1184]: 1184 monitored file `/etc/
resolv.conf` was written to

and

May 07 03:18:24 sgt.decathlon.org NetworkManager[31378]: nisdomainname: you
must be root to change the domain name

And I did it in earlier days (2000 onward?) where the complaint was that you
shouldn't be assigning yourself a domain name that's not registered with DNS.

My recollection of how it was all supposed to work is pretty vague, and it's
gotten a bit more complex since then. I don't think I ever had a complete
solution, but the idea is to preserve flexibility, so a computer can be part
of a LAN, or part of the internet, or both; can use multiple interfaces, etc.

What should I be doing?

Even if this is mixed up:

NIS (Network Information Service) != DNS (Domain Name System)

The domain name set by domainname(1) (also called ypdomainname or nisdomainname)
set the NIS/YP doamin name seen in /proc/sys/kernel/domainname. Indeed only
root can do this. Also echo or sysctl can be used to set the domainname.

The DNS domainname can not set local but only provided by the (remote)
name server providing the database of the DNS. For this /etc/resolv.conf
is used to get the address of the remote name server. You can also run a
local name server daemon (bind or dnsmasq) to provide such a DNS for the
LAN, for this then the /etc/resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1. To solve
trouble at boot (local or of the host providing the name server) or lost
LAN some common FQDN can be written into /etc/hosts.