On 06/05/2019 22.55, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 06/05/2019 21.14, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
06.05.2019 21:59, Carlos E. R. пишет:

On another machine I have my own script hanging from NM that edits
/etc/hosts dynamically to write the correct full name and current
IP.> But there must be a better way.

If you are going to say that it is the job of the DHCP server,

All that I'm trying to say is that you are barking up the wrong tree.
If your concern is (non) working "hostname -f" or how to associate
dynamic IP with static label it is not related to "Domain Name" field
in YaST.

I'm not barking. I'm asking what is the correct place to set the
domain name in Leap. It is very simple!

You are basically saying "nowhere".

I think Andrei is saying it isn't necessary and asks you to show which
problem it creates for you.

In this machine, which is only a test machine, that "domainname" does
not work. That is, if you wish, an aesthetic problem.

But on other machines, postfix does not start if the host and domain
names do not work. Leafnode, as just mentioned by Robert, also fails.
And maybe, I don't remember, dovecot also has problems.

Setting the FQDN to 127.0.0.1 also breaks postfix, I have a bugzilla on
that for years. You read it, we spoke about it. Postfix people said it
was not their problem, just remove the line from the hosts file. *SUSE
people say postfix should "correct" their code.

So, as there is no way in YaST to set the domain name we are left to our
own. On the machines that actually need it and are on dynamic IP (and I
don't control the IP) I use a script hook on NM to write the FQDN to the
hosts file dynamically.

That's a hack.

It should be able to set the FQDN in YaST (or NM), and it should just work.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.