Re: [opensuse] What are Transparent Huge Pages vs. non-transparent ones and when do I use them?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 08:35:46 +0100
Dave Howorth wrote:

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:59:24 -0700
L A Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

Yes, it makes things fairly clear. They're useful on big machines and
they're useful with VMs. Since I have a modest machine and never use
VMs I question why my system is set to 'always' by default?

Probably because it is a sane default for SLES and will most likely not
impact your performance.

Especially given that it does apparently have negative effects on
programs that I *do* run.

I would suggest s/apparently/theoretically/. redis just probed the
setting, but it has no idea what effect it will really have.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.8°C)