Re: [opensuse] systemd logging
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 14:10:05 +0100

On 15/03/2019 13.33, Dave Howorth wrote:
Can systemd's journald be configured to write logs to RAM and then
periodically save them to disk?

I know it can write to RAM and I know it can write to disk, but I
don't know whether it can combine the two.

The use case is to reduce the number of write operations on a memory
card.

PS An actual configuration example would be a lot more use than a
simple yes or no in answer to my question :)

I don't know of a setting for this. I assume it writes to ram
initially and soon to disk. I don't know how long it waits before
commiting to disk.

Ok, found one (man journald.conf):

SyncIntervalSec=
The timeout before synchronizing journal files to disk.
After syncing, journal files are placed in the OFFLINE state. Note
that syncing is unconditionally done immediately after a
log message of priority CRIT, ALERT or EMERG has been logged. This
setting hence applies only to messages of the levels ERR,
WARNING, NOTICE, INFO, DEBUG. The default timeout is 5 minutes.

Well, there you have.

Thanks, Carlos.