Re: [opensuse] Backup Data to a Remote Tape Drive
On 3/6/19 12:26 PM, Mark Petersen wrote:
I'm looking for some help in backing up some data on a virtual machine to the
host's tape drive.

Searching the internet, I found this command:

# tar cvzf - /data | ssh root@host "cat > /dev/st0"

But, I would like to run the script from the host not on the guest vm.

I have limited space on the host and guest, so I'd like to "stream" the data to
the tape drive.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mark

A couple of things I've used are Amanda and Bacula.  Both will allow
incremental.  Neither is as simple as the tar that Pers gave you, but they are
more flexible in the long haul.