Re: [opensuse] Backup Data to a Remote Tape Drive
March 6, 2019 3:09 PM, "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/03/2019 21.26, Mark Petersen wrote:

I'm looking for some help in backing up some data on a virtual machine to
the host's tape drive.

Searching the internet, I found this command:

# tar cvzf - /data | ssh root@host "cat > /dev/st0"

But, I would like to run the script from the host not on the guest vm.

I have limited space on the host and guest, so I'd like to "stream" the data
to the tape drive.

Thanks for any assistance.

You could export the guest filesystem via NFS (assuming both are Linux),
and then on the host import it and work on it however you wish.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)

Carlos,

Thanks for the idea. Both do run linux. - The host (openSUSE Tmblwd) and guest
(Ubuntu 1804). I had ssh/scp on the brain, and couldn't come up with a way to
do the backup from the host.

The Ubuntu guest is running samba4 and is acting as a fileserver, so I can just
mount the samba share and write it to the tape drive.

Mark