Re: [opensuse] using old cell phone as a server

On 3/3/19 9:20 PM, Doug wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how do you access a command prompt on an Android device? And what shell does it use?
And what do you do about libraries that an app might need? I do have a couple of tablets that are unused here,
and it might be interesting to get some use out of one.

--doug, WA2SAY

Well, in my case, I wifi'ed to the net via my router, downloaded the apps to root the tablets (android v4.4, IIRC) and followed the procedures found in various youtube video how-tos.

Is it a perfect solution? No, but I didn't expect it to be. They are, after all, cheap tablets running an old version of android on an ARM processor but they do work.

One is running a SSTV receive app that prints a screen full of stuff when it hears a suitable signal in the shack. Sometimes it is even recognizable as a valid sstv signal. It also does cw receive the same way if I use it for that, which I don't, since I do about 35 or so in my head better than it does.

Enjoy the challenge.