Re: [opensuse] using old cell phone as a server
On 2019-03-04 4:36 a.m., Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2019-03-03 6:20 p.m., Carlos E. R. wrote:
But it is not openSUSE. It is a fake Linux. I can not run YaST and
install my packages.

No, its a real version of Linux.

It is not. It doesn't run text mode. It doesn't run an X server. I can
not ssh to it.

That does not prove it is not real Linux.
Heck, I used REAL UNIX as in a note on the 9-track tape reel, for many years and
that didn't have SSH or X-Windows on it. There are a LOT of Linux servers out
there supplying pages to the net where you can't access them by X or SSH, only
HTTPS.
That doesn't make them 'not real Linux'.

The presence of absence of a specific application or the accessibility of same
to an individual has nothing to do with whether this is 'real Linux' or not.

As it happens I have, at various times, run SSH as nth client and server on my
phones and tablets, and run X-Server on my tablet (I decided three wasn't enough
screen real estate to bother for my phone). It's a case of "I refute you
thusly!"

As I said, loading or not loading an particular application has nothing what so
ever to do with whether it is 'real' Linux or not.

Also, phones do not have 3 full USB3 connectors to connect 3 external
huge hard disks at full speed. Nor does it have an Ethernet connector.

Well under my desk is an old HP laptop with a broken screen and the original
drive running openSUSE 4.1 and MariaDB for my local web server.
It only has one USB port. The drive is neither very large nor very fast.
Apart from a SSH server and some other background stuff like CRON, that DB
server is the only stuff running. Not running X takes a great load off it!
being an old machine it does have only a 10MHz Ethernet.

My tablet DOES have a USB3 connector and I have a 'spider' that expands that to
FOUR ports. Sometimes I have the need to use one for a powerbank. More often I
plug in USB keys with very large (as in 256G) microSD cards or connect to the
USB ports on my PC.

Oddly enough I can also connect to Ethernet with an appropriate dongle, but
since my tablet has Wi-Fi and that seems to be faster than the Ethernet on the
laptop mentioned above it is not a limiting feature.

I've written in the last about the CPU equivalent of RAID. Yes we do have
efficient SIMD machines; 4-core seems ubiquitous and I'm seeing announcements of
24-core and more. But these are on one chip and we are still running what
amounts to monolithic applications with a bit of multi-threading. We still
don't have much in the way of truly separated application, different parts
running on diverse machines. David Cheriton proved this was not only possible
but practical with the "V System" a few decades ago. He also showed that with
small enough 'fragmentation' of the application and efficient IPC the boost in
performance from 'non-blocking', even at the kernel level (he demonstrated this
with a distributed disk driver) is immense for a wide range of modern
applications. I recall seeing his IPC being ported to a version of Vax based
BSD4.3 back in the mid 1980s but there wasn't the follow-on application
development.

A Large Array of Redundant Processors (and GPUs if it comes to that) offers an
interesting possibility for heavily parallel processing.

What's that? The LARP acronym is already taken?