Re: [opensuse] Probably OT but just in case ...
  • From: Jan Ritzerfeld <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:35:35 +0100
Am Sonntag, 3. März 2019, 12:58:29 CET schrieb Carlos E. R.:
[...]
I got curious. I downloaded and installed "regionset" to see how my drive is
set:

Telcontar:~ # regionset
Current drive parameters for /dev/dvd:
RPC Type: Phase II (Hardware)
RPC Status: no region code set (bitmask=0xFF)

It's RPC2 and dhere's indeed no region set.

Vendor may reset the RPC 4 times
User is allowed change the region setting 5 times

Ah, there are these five times.

[...]
So I loaded a commercial DVD into my drive, which is an ASUS blueray writer,
and first tried with Xine. If I used "xine /dev/dvd" it tried but failed.
On a second attempt I could see the menu in a very broken shape. If I
entered "xine" and then pressed the DVD button, it crashed.
[...]
Then I tried with VLC, and it played the DVD just fine... with no region
set.
[...]

Lucky you: The VLC FAQ entry Steven quoted in his original post also states
that "On other RPC2 drives that do allow raw access, it might take VLC a long
time to crack the key. So just pop the disc in your drive and try it out,
while you get a coffee." https://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html#DVDS

Gruß
Jan
--
You'll find sympathy between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.