Re: [opensuse] using old IDE laptop
On 01/03/2019 11.44, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 01/03/2019 08.11, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 01/03/2019 02.03, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 02/26/2019 01:22 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
laptop saved from obsolescence :-)
My old one is 32 bit.

Don't knock 32-bit -- my office computer is still 32-bit :)

Tell me where I can find Leap 15.0-32b to install on it.

No? Then my 32bit machines stay in the house museum.

<nitpick>
You can have Leap15 32bit on ARM machines, plenty of them :-)
</nitpick>

Ah, but my personal museum has none of them :-p

So I can not use my old laptop. I got it as a give away by its
previous owner as useless crap. An expensive machine at its time. 500
MB of ram, I think.

That does sound like useless crap :-)

It fulfilled the home server role very well for about two or three years :-)

I installed on it a new PATA internal disk, and added two large external
disks on USB 2, encrypted. Worked 24*7 at a very low load average.

Being a laptop meant it used little space, yet had a keyboard and
display for managing it when needed.

According to documentation, even a brand new Raspi 3 will default to
32bit mode. (it does both). I'll probably install one today, I'll
let you know.

The KDE appliance image for Raspi3 is for 64bit mode only, afaict.

Ah.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.