Re: [opensuse] trouble with ssh connecting
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 09:12:04 +0000
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-12-18 11:16]:

Oh, I agree. I have migrated two machines to 15.0, a third is waiting,
and I haven't still done the firewall in any. I fear it.

really doesn't appear too difficult. I have it on three boxes now and
thing I have everything I had with SuSEfirewall2. it's just different.
there are plenty of examples and instructions on the net.

There's two problems:
- SuSEfirewall was very nicely documented in the config file. You could read
through it, make your changes, then activate. firewalld was basically 'we
now use this (RedHat) thing. Go find and read their manuals'
(Yes, I'm exagerating a bit).

- firewalld is live. You can't easily prepare a configuration without
running the actual thing during the setup. If you need to upgrade a server
that is both needed online and has to be secured that is a PITA situation.

I successfully
opened ports for kconnectd and vnc and moved ssh. but my server is still
on 42.2 and SuSEfirewall2. I probably will not change it until I upgrade
it.

Exactly. Because - see above :P