Re: [opensuse] Login weirdness
On 09/11/2018 14.07, Liam Proven wrote:
On 09/11/2018 13:55, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Ah, but that is the fans. Good silent fans cost more ;-)

It came with a fancy Zalman CPU cooler, and it's so old, I don't really
want to spend money on replacing it.

I've tried replacing all the other fans, including a silent
passively-cooled GPU, but nothing made any noticeable difference. :-(

Yes, exactly. More memory for my Pentium V with 32MiB of RAM was too
costly, so purchase instead new computer.

Pentium *V*? I thought they never shipped.

But the P4 series were space-heaters anyway. I would not keep such a
machine around.

I have not powered it up in years, so I might be wrong.

Thus it died of RAM
insufficiency. ;-)

Well, that is one way of looking at it, I suppose.

LOL :-)

I mean, it could have lasted a year or two more if I had more ram for it
at the time :-)

Or a restart of firefox.

If that is the offending app, yes. But if other things stay in RAM, the
RAM will remain fragmented.

Well, yes. Did you see that the machine has 8 GiB of RAM, and there were
6 GiB of swap in use? Yes, I need more ram, which means new board, and
money. That's the best solution, then easy life... But I do not want to
expend that money now.

:-o

I did not.

I would not use such a setup. I'd set up a 2nd machine as an email
server or something first...

Yes, I'm considering that.

But that would at most save between 0.5 and 1 GB, out of 6 in swap...

Wow. I just looked, and

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR SWAP S %CPU %MEM TIME+
COMMAND
17065 cer 20 0 4452780 1,746g 19440 403432 S 0,000 22,40 259:18.36
Web Content

Probably one firefox tab is using 1.7 Gigs. I'll kill it and see who
complains.

<https://status.opensuse.org/>
A google search on Kashogui
<https://en.opensuse.org/Firewalld#Documentation>
A page from my city tax centre.
A page from my region government land maps (not displaying a map at the
moment).
A google search on Lazarus locale
A mozilla bugzillla page.

Nothing that should be that huge.

Then Thunderbird is using 1.2 G. Firefox main 0.8

I'm now down to about 4G in swap.

I have the impression that the same workload that I have used for years
is growing in RAM demands, perhaps double, since two or three years.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.