Re: [opensuse] Login weirdness
On 05/11/2018 18:41, Carlos E. R. wrote:

No, based on the smartctl output:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)

Ah, OK. I forgot that was there to look back at -- sorry.

I use "lazytime" mount option. It may become a default option.

I will check that out.

But they seek faster on SSD :-)

True, but I can't tell any difference.

I have a machine that needs more RAM, but the board can't take more.
Placing the swap on SSD gave the machine a huge speed difference.

Urgh. I try to avoid swap on SSD. My home laptop has 2 SSDs -- a big one
with Win10 and a shared data partition, and a small one with Linux. I
use the "zram" tool for dynamic compressed swapfiles in RAM for that, to
avoid swapping to disk and wearing it out. It rarely hits swap at all.

Like this laptop: has 4 Gigs, and is currently using 1.6 of swap. I'm
only running XFCE, Thunderbird and Firefox. Ah, I forgot clamd, takes
half a gig, and I'm only using my trick on the desktop, is not automated
yet. I must go back to it.

I do still use a 4GB laptop, but mainly for experimenting with PC DOS
7.1, Haiku and Oberon. None of them need all the RAM.

I also have Devuan, though, with XFCE, but that's pretty light and the
OS does not do much hard work.

I see your predicament there -- I have an occasionally-used machine that
is maxed out at 8GB and it really wants more -- but I'm not sure I'd
burn the life of an SSD for it. You might find ZRAM useful.

And if it were me, I would lose clamd in that config. You are not going
to catch anything on Linux. I don't know how to rephrase "caveat emptor"
to mean "Windows users beware" but you get what I mean, I'm sure.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/501160-Using-zram-amp-zswap